Friday, September 18, 2009

Memories of Sydney, Australia

Ahh what a trip...back in 2006 I went to Sydney, Australia's biggest, oldest and most cosmo city. I gotta say, it is one of the cleanist cities I have been to, surrounded by national parks and beaches, and containing perhaps the world's most recognized harbor (with the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge so visible).








I saw so much in Sydney, so I will have more posts on the Taronga Zoo, Manly Beach, Bondi Beach soon...



Some fun facts I learned while I was there...



  • A resident of Sydney is known as a Sydneysider




  • Approximately 4.5 million people visit the Sydney Opera House each year




  • Most of the convicts to Australia were English and Welsh (70%), Irish (24%) or Scottish (5%)




  • Historically, more convicts were sent to American penal colonies than Australian (although Australia was mostly designated a penal colony whereas America had various religious refugees, needless to say, this is why Australia is known for its prisoner roots)

  • Some convicts had been sent from various British outposts such as India and Canada and there were also Maoris from New Zealand, Chinese from Hong Kong and slaves from the Caribbean



Stay tuned...more to come









No comments:

Post a Comment