Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ode to Timmy





So I finally saw Marley & Me on Sunday and I cried like a baby...I'm sooo glad I didn't see it when it came out last Christmas....especially since my dog Timmy passed away in November. It was a good movie, very sad ofcourse. To be honest, I tried to read the book years ago and just couldn't get into it. Its a movie that anyone who has lost a pet can relate to.

I adopted Timmy, a tan/buff cocker spaniel, when he was about 10 yrs young from Sue Kroyer at Cocker Connection. Getting an older 'senior' dog actually worked well for me, I worked a lot, he slept a lot. He only wanted to hang out with me a few hours a day when he was awake. He was house trained and a great dog in general. The vet bills did pile up, which I wasn't expecting, but I got through it...he was well worth it. We had some great times together. I could write a book...oh wait, I kinda did - its on my side bar :)

The movie hit home for me because I only had Timmy four short years and lost him similar to how Marley passed. Really complications due to old age, his stomach twisted and he got bloat, which is very scary. Timmy was fine one minute, then he literally looked like a beach ball the next, and he was in great pain. He survived that night, but it was a rough two weeks after.

When I had to make the very hard decision to put Timmy to sleep, I knew it was the right thing to do and a power greater than me was helping me that day. Now I'm glad I was there with him at the time and he didn't die alone or in pain. They say 'you know when its time'...and you really do.

Not long after I decided to foster a few dogs, which helped me at the time (I highly reccomend fostering if you are not ready to adopt). Then Eli came along...which is a WHOLE other post. I will say this, when Sue told me about him and he sounded like the same coler (tan/buff) as Timmy, I thought 'no way'. I didn't want to replace Timmy. Then I met Eli, who was probably 1 yr or so, full of energy.

Its funny, I always wondered what Timmy was like in his youth, and the first time Eli squeezed out of his collar and leash and charged two large standard poodles across the street...I think Timmy was laughing up in doggie heaven at me..."you wanted to see what I was like as a puppy, here you go..." Oh boy do I have my hands full now, but in a good way!

I'll never forget you Mr. Tim...thank you for all you taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment