Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Drive to see...Drive

I went to see the new movie Drive starring Ryan Gosling and I liked it so much, Im writing a post about it! Yes, Im a huge Ryan Gosling fan, I have seen all his films, even the obscure ones like The Slaughter Rule and Stay




Sure...Ryan is easy on the eyes, he has that 'regular guy' sex appeal and he was on the Mickey Mouse Club...is it creepy I know this about him? Perhaps. He also happens to be a great actor and I enjoy the various choices he makes. Yeah, maybe The Notebook is secretly my favorite movie...but this post is not about my crush on Mr. Gosling...it's about the movie Drive...in which Ryan plays "driver" (we never know his name, which adds to the mystique of this film).


The critics were bagging on the romantic angle between "driver" and Irene (played by Carey Mulligan)...but I got it...sure it was odd and strained (they both seemed to be the strong silent types), but it worked for me. Not a lot of talking, I like that.


I won't give too much away, because I really want you, my loyal reader, to go enjoy the film for yourself. Its got action, romance, good music, a bit of violence and gore...and a 1980s film noir feel. Don't get me wrong, its supposed to be present day Los Angeles, but the 80s synth-pop music they use sets that tone. I liked the music so much I bought the soundtrack today.


For all you Mad Men fans out there, you may be disappointed to see Christina Hendricks is only in it a short time, but she still makes an impression.


Albert Brooks plays, Bernie...a role like no other Iv seen him play - quite the calm violent type. Bryan Cranston rocked it too. I have to say, I thought the movie may be a ton of car chases and it really wasn't. They had some good car scenes, but it was more about the characters. I could go on, but I'm tired and I promised myself a good nights rest.


So go on, go see Drive, Im sure it will be an Oscar contender with several cast members highlighted for a little gold statue...

No comments:

Post a Comment